Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 Reading Goal and TBR List

This year I'm trying something new with my reading goals, thanks to Goodreads. I've never really kept track of books that I've read but now that I have a Goodreads account, I thought it'd be fun to create a list of the books I want to read this year and create a reading goal. (After all, I need to model reading habits for my students, right?) 

 For the time being, my goal is to read 300 books in 2014. 



Currently my Goodreads To Be Read (TBR) list is 389 books long, above and beyond my goal of 300 books. In creating my TBR list, I first rolled over books from by 2013 TBR that I never got to - approximately 41 books. Then I included books that will be discussed in the #virtualbookclub which is organized by Mission Read (@MissonRead). I joined the book club sometime around August last year, so I didn't get to experience a full year of book discussions. I'm super excited about participating all the way through 2014 with these wonderful librarians and teachers. 



#Virtualbookclub books for Jan. - May
#Virtualbookclub books for June - Nov. 2014 


I also hope to participate more in the Nerdy Book Club (@nerdybookclub) in 2014. I kind of followed the discussions last year but didn't really contribute much. My TBR list will be revised once I know which books Nerdy Book Club will be discussing throughout the year. For now, I am trying to catch up on the 2013 Nerdy Book Awards list. 

Other sources I pulled from in creating my 2014 TBR include the Texas Bluebonnet Award Nominees, the Lone Star Reading List, and TAYSHAS, which are all created by members of the Texas Library Association (@TXLA). I've also included books from YALSA's (@YALSABest Fiction for Young Adults list and the Michael L. Printz Winners and Honor Books

Dr. Susanah Shaw Romney, who was my thesis adviser in my undergraduate days, will also be publishing her first nonfiction book, New Netherland Connections: Intimate Networks and Atlantic Ties in Seventeenth-Century America, which I have waited for years to read. I can't tell you how cool it was to finally add that to my TBR list. 

So I foresee a lot - A LOT - of reading in 2014. Most likely, I won't get to all the books on my list because of work and family responsibilities along with changes in priorities, and that's OK with me. At least I have a goal in mind and a starting point, which is a lot more than what I began with in 2013. 

Here's a preview of my 2014 TBR list for the time being. 

Happy Reading! 

1 comment: